Thursday 8 October 2009

Mirror moment

When I was younger I had a teacher who always used to start class with a moment of silence. She liked called it our 'mirror moment', and back then, when I was an obnoxious, know-it-all 14 year old, I found it amusing and quite frankly ridiculous. My life, at the time, was so simple, so easy; I had no need for stillness in my life, no need for inner reflection.
Today, lying on my mat during final savasna, I was reminded of that and it made me smile. I often feel like I haven't changed from the 14 year old girl I was 7 years ago. I still make the same silly mistakes (usually involving boys or alcohol, sometimes both), I still look the same (give or take a few pounds) and I still crack the same terrible jokes. And yet here I am relishing the opportunity I have been given after 90 minutes of pushing my body to its limits, to just lie still for a couple of minutes and reflect on what has just passed and what is to come. It's nice to realise that even if I haven't changed much physically, I have grown up enough to appreciate the smaller things in life. The things that don't involve boys, make-up and who kissed who at x's party. I have moved onto a deeper path of understanding and I am finally able to appreciate my mind for what it is, which is mostly something that is incredibly strong and resilient. I have been through so much this past year, some situations of my own making, but mostly things that were out of my control. I began to feel slightly depressed, focusing solely on the crap which seemed to flood through my life with a monsoon like persistence. But finally I have moved on and now I have been given the chance to reflect on and heal the mental scars that were left, and for that I am eternally grateful.
Thank you Bikram
Namaste

1 comment:

  1. it feels good to reflect and feel grateful. Yes, thank you Bikram!

    ReplyDelete